I have just recently embarked on the Google AdWords journey and just wanted to share a few words of advice to other newcomers – especially business owners:
- If you’re a business owner hire a professional PPC specialist (unless you have a ton of time to devote to the craft)
- Read everything you can about AdWords – You may want to start with “AdWords for Dummies“
- Do not throw a load of money into it to start
- Take advantage of the free-coupons that Google gives you and use them to test as much as you can
- Make sure your website is optimized for organic search (SEO) – you’ll want to take advantage of all the “free” traffic you can get and this will also help your paid traffic do better
- Make sure you have a landing page or pages that convert
- Please realize that clicks or CTR does not equate to profit or ROI
- Although Google will assign you a personal account manager and this person will be as helpful as you would like them to be, remember, they work for “Google” and are there to make Google money. Once again – hire a professional that is in the business of making “you” money
- PPC campaigns take time and testing to work. It won’t happen overnight no matter who you hire
- Be patient
- Watch your campaign very closely once you have it running – although you’ve set a “daily budget”, Google will charge your credit card more than your “daily budget” (read up on going over your daily budget) This can be very tricky.
- Start with the Search Network before you jump into the Display Network so that you can measure results from the Search Network
- Test multiple ads with different headings, etc.
- Do not run a campaign without adding Negative Keywords!
- Do not hire a web designer to do your AdWords campaign or pass it over to your administrative assistant or secretary – AdWords is not easy at all, is more than a full-time job and no-one can do both - you Will lose a lot of money doing this.
- Do read, read, and continue to educate yourself about new functions, features and changes on the AdWords platform as it is changing everyday.
As I previously stated, I have only just begun my journey with AdWords and am halfway certified (one more test to go). I’m sure I will have more to add to this list in the very near future.
Back to studying and testing! Bye